Friday 16 November 2012

S104 update/W200/future plans?

S104 update

Am about a week ahead of schedule still, but it is literally taking me about 3-4 hours a day to keep that up...  Just finished the astronomy chapters of book 2 and they were brilliant, really enjoyable. 
Just started chapter 14 and it isn't the most exciting subject in the world - I know it is letting people get into physics gently, but it is a bit basic, asking questions like what happens if the push force is reduced, umm okay - nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read that.  At least I suppose it isn't going straight into the complicated stuff - hopefully it will liven up in book 3.

Finished the second iCMA, and could have kicked myself, only had one question wrong on the first attempt and that was because I transposed the numbers when typing them into the calculator - like putting down 6531 instead of 6351 - really annoyed myself there.. ah well lesson learnt, will need to triple check my answers from now on, and wait some time to let them 'digest' before entering them..

TMA02 progress is relatively okay on this, need to really buckle down and spend a day or two just finishing it - deadline is still about 2/3 weeks away but would like it completed.  I still haven't received a mark for TMA01 yet, which isn't helping as I am not sure if I need to amend any of my 'TMA writing' techniques for TMA02.

Also in reference to TMA01 there is a tutorial in Southampton tomorrow, and I really would like to see my TMA result before attending - don't know why this is, but I don't have any motivation to go to the tutorial at the moment.. so please tutor hurry up with the marks lol ;)

W200

Have just finalised signing up for W200 starting in Feb 2013, after a lot of trouble over this new OUSBA system that has been put in.  At one point had the OU saying they couldn't see the information on their system regarding the loan, and OUSBA saying it was the OU's fault as they hadn't registered me on the course, so I had a loan for a lot of money and no course - I was not happy.  I am also a little unhappy with the OU support desk as they don't seem to be taking ownership of problems.  The OU gave me the phone number of OUSBA to sort out the problem, when surely they should both be talking to each other, and not leaving me to be piggy in the middle, so to speak.  I am finding if you do anything slightly unusual with the OU they find it difficult to resolve it.. ah well I hope that is just a temporary glitch as they both get used to the new systems.  As new students may well be put off the OU if they had encountered the same type of support I have had the past couple of weeks.  They should really have one person you contact to sort out any problems, whenever I rang back had to repeat everything again as the notes the previous support person put on didn't explain the situation well.  Enough of the ranting !.........

Future plans?

I am still not sure which direction I would like to go in (especially since all the Geoscience courses are being rearranged etc) - either science or law.  Advantage with law is it is all laid out very nicely with the OU, and it is not going to get messed around with.  They have even just put on a new LLM course which looks interesting.  Will hold off any decision for future plans and play it by ear and see how I feel after I have completed S104 and W200.  Taking one course at a time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment