Friday 25 January 2013

W200 Update

W200 update

I have now settled on a way to study -  I am currently doing mind maps, linear notes while I am reading the text (so I can interact with the text while I am reading it), and flash cards.  The mind maps will be per unit (and per 'sub-unit' if there is a lot of information in a 'sub-unit' as there appears to be!).  Linear notes will be all the way through including any supplemental reading - like the English Legal System book by Gary Slapper.  And the flashcards, these have been split up into definitions, opposites (e.g. criminal v civil law), learning outcomes, and cases.  I am finding there is tons of new information to learn - even though most of the items we covered in W100, W200 goes into more depth.. so the flash cards should help with that as well.  Hopefully the mind maps and flash cards will be useful for revision - time will tell.

Mind maps:  I have so far completed a mind map for unit 1 and used some software called imindmap to 'type it up'.. As you can see I love colour on my mind maps......!  I will make a seperate area soon where I will upload my mind maps -so people can get an idea of how to do their own mind maps, anyone want a hand or assistance starting off with mind maps just comment on this post and I will get back to you ....
Mind Map for Unit 1 of W200
Linear notes: these are straight forward linear notes made from the various manuals and the textbook, I have attached a picture of a set I started off doing, however have now moved over to A4 paper, so I don't need to rewrite them, and place them in my Staples Arc folder:-

Linear notes for unit 1 - W200
Flash cards:  Having started with some basic index cards I bought from Staples, I found these to be too thin and impractical for what I wanted to use them for - a fellow student - Jamie, suggested these on Amazon: 
Extra thick flashcards.  
These are excellent - although I would prefer colourful flash cards, these are extra thick and so will last a lifetime, they are the size of a credit card which are smaller than the ones I purchased from Staples, but this will stop me writing an essay on each one !  They are matt on one side and shiny on the other, I was worried they wouldn't take coloured felt tip pens very well but they did:-
An example of the front of my flashcards for unit 2A learning outcomes

An example of the reverse of my flashcards for unit 2A learning outcomes

transcribing all my old flashcard info onto the new ones

Key for colours to write with depending on type of card
Books: - have ordered some more Law Express and Concentrate books to help with an overview of the general topics on W200...

Facebook blocking:  I have resumed blocking Facebook from 0900-1700 every day.. although I tend to sneak on it via my ipad and iphone so not need to find a way to block facebook from these two devices! If anyone knows of anything please let me know.

Finally some titbits from the English Legal system book by Gary Slapper - I surprised myself by finding that this book is actually an interesting read.....  :-

Some things the government have done or not done as the case may be:

In the legislative and regulatory reform bill 2006, they tried to enable ministers to create new criminal offences, punishable with less than 2 years imprisonment, without the need to debate this in parliament, luckily overturned......

The minister for women and equalities will not enact part of the equality act 2010, which imposed a duty on public bodies to have due regard when making strategic decisions to reducing the inequalities of outcome that result from socio economic disadvantages - I am tempted to say that is a typical Tory response but am beginning to think all governments act like this..

Overall thoughts so far:  Finding there is a lot of information to get through, need to read about 50 pages per week, not including any supplemental activites, and readings.  But at the moment it is keeping my attention.  The more I learn about law, the more I realise that it needs reforming and changing as it doesn't appear to be working in the way it should.


No comments:

Post a Comment